Who are Weedbusters?
All around New Zealand, communities, private individuals, local government, central government, and research organisations are actively involved in Weedbusters work. This includes active control of weeds, as well as education about invasive weeds and pest plants.
The Weedbusters programme celebrates the efforts of these individuals, communities and organisations, and aims to spread the message that each of us has responsibility for stopping the spread of weeds.
Weedbusters is being developed by an interagency group; the Weedbusters Management Committee. This committee has representatives from: Department of Conservation (www.doc.govt.nz), Regional Government Biosecurity Managers Group, Biosecurity New Zealand (http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz), New Zealand Biosecurity Institute (http://www.biosecurity.org.nz/), Nursery and Garden Industry Association ( http://www.ngia.co.nz/ ) and Federated Farmers NZ ( http://www.fedfarm.org.nz/ ).
Weedbusters is proudly supported by:
View the Terms of Reference for the Management Committee.
Woody Weed our loveable rogue mascot, helps spread this message.
Management Committee - Terms of Reference
The Weedbusters Management Committee leads the development of the Weedbusters programme and sets national directions for Weedbusters.
Members of the committee will:
- Represent the interests of lead agencies and stakeholders in weed issues.
- Ensure that each agency/group meets the costs of its representative attending committee meetings.
- Develop and maintain a Weedbusters Strategy.
- Identify and implement new weed awareness initiatives that align with the vision, goals and objectives of Weedbusters.
- Be dedicated to securing on-going funding of the programme.
- Ensure systems for weed awareness and education are integrated with National Biodiversity and Biosecurity Strategies.
National Weedbusters Coordinator
The National Coordinator acts as Executive Secretary for the Weedbusters Management Committee.
In addition to servicing the Committee, the coordinator:
- Maintains dialogue between Regional Weedbusters groups and the Weedbusters Management Committee.
- Liaises with other interest groups and stakeholders.
- Acts as main contact point for the Weedbusters programme.
- Develop a 5 year strategic plan
Meet as often as necessary to implement the Weedbusters Strategy.
Download Weedbusters 5 year strategy.PDF (221 KB)